Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Review: Double Shot by Erynn Mangum

I've finished Erynn Mangum's Maya Davis trilogy. I totally loved it, although I'm bummed out that I've finished it... I've already got my mother reading the series; I raved over it so much that she wanted to check it out for herself! ;) Here's my review for the third (and last) book, Double Shot.

Maya's roommate Jen has just gotten married, and that in turn has forced the now roommate-less Maya to move into a smaller apartment for financial reasons. Change is not something that Maya handles well, and changing apartments is about to become the least of her concerns!

Maya is engaged to her long-time best friend Jack; their wedding is 3 months away and counting. It's a short engagement so they're cutting it close to get all the plans settled, and on top of that there's so many details Maya never imagined were involved in planning a wedding! Jack has given the wedding planning reigns to Maya, which is probably for the best considering that he works at a zoo. Uh, yeah, Maya is probably quite a bit more qualified to plan a wedding than a zookeeper...

We've already established that Maya doesn't deal well with change, so when Jack brings up a topic that could affect their effect their entire future and take them away from all they've ever known, Maya is utterly speechless. This could represent the largest and most unwelcome change in her entire life, and she is immediately opposed. While Maya is sure this thing is not God's will for them, Jack is equally sure that it IS God's will. Maya obviously still loves Jack, but is this issue enough to come between them?

Double Shot is a nice conclusion to the Maya Davis series, it wraps up most of the ongoing story lines and leaves just a bit up to your imagination. The story is chock-full of the wonderful Maya sense of humor that was established in the first two books. Several times I couldn't even believe what I was reading, because it was just so humorous! I love when everyday things can be turned into humorous situations and dialogue, it's just so entertaining! I could hardly keep the grin off my face!

I'm so glad I stumbled across the Maya Davis series, but I am sad that I've finished the trilogy. This was the most entertaining series I've read in a really long time, the characters are so full of life they simply jump off the pages and dare you not to like them. Erynn Mangum is definitely an author I'm going to be keeping an eye on, and I'm already planning on tracking down her Miss Match series. To sum things up, my advice is this: Do yourself a favor, buy Cool Beans, Latte Daze, and Double Shot. You'll be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment