Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Review: Tomorrow's Garden by Amanda Cabot

Book Cover and Synopsis:
Harriet Kirk is certain that becoming Ladreville's schoolteacher is just what she needs—a chance to put the past behind her and give her younger siblings a brighter tomorrow. What she didn't count on was the presence of handsome former Texas Ranger Lawrence Wood—or the way he slowly but surely claims her fragile heart. But can Harriet and Lawrence ever truly put the past behind them in order to find happiness?

My Thoughts:
In this third (and last) book in the Texas Dreams trilogy, familiar faces return, but there are also new characters to get acquainted with. We are introduced to Harriet Kirk, a young woman desperate to escape to a place where no one knows her. So when the opportunity arises, she jumps at the chance to move to Ladreville, Texas, dragging her orphaned brothers and sisters along with her.

I must admit that I felt Harriet and Lawrence took a liking to each other a bit too quickly. Initially it just felt a bit forced, as if the only reason they liked each other was because they were the two main characters and were "supposed" to like each other. However, as the story progressed and they developed a friendship, I was then able to see the attraction. They gradually form a unique relationship, each having personality quirks shaped by events of the past.

Something I really liked was the small bits of story revolving around Harriet's sister, Ruth. Initially she was painfully shy, afraid to talk or interact with strangers... but when forced into a new situation, she managed to form a tentative friendship with the town's minister. I very much understand the difficulty of being shy, so her character, feelings, and actions really connected with me. Ruth's part in the story isn't large--she is just a supporting character--but nevertheless, I really enjoyed the sections written from her view point.

Overall, I found this to be an enjoyable read. My only regret is that Ruth didn't have a larger role...however, I can't deny that Harriet and Lawrence were likeable characters, so the story did flow along well. Never before have I read a novel where the hero so vehemently disliked the heroine's choice of clothing, and I have to admit I found that whole situation rather humorous! :) Though Tomorrow's Garden is the last book in the Texas Dreams series, it would also work fine as a stand-alone novel if you don't have access to the first two.

My Rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment