Monday, September 16, 2013

Review: Waiting For Morning by Margaret Brownley

Book Cover and Synopsis:
There is nothing Molly wouldn’t do for her teenaged brother, Donny. Blaming herself for the accident that left him wheel-chair bound, Molly has dedicated her life to his care. But in 1896, gainful employment for a woman is hard to come by. So when Molly learns that an eccentric rancher in Cactus Patch, Arizona, is looking for an heiress—someone to take over management of the ranch in exchange for future ownership—she jumps at the chance to provide a real home for her brother.

If she proves to have a knack for ranching and agrees to remain single for life, the ranch can be hers. Neither stipulation worries Molly. She’s resourceful and hardworking. And she gave up dreams of marriage long ago when she dedicated her life to her brother’s well-being.

However, Molly didn’t bank on meeting Dr. Caleb Fairbanks, the town’s handsome and charismatic young doctor. Caleb has a way with Molly that makes her nervous. But it’s how he is with her brother that really alarms her. Caleb sees past the wheelchair and genuinely likes Donny, but Molly fears he’s putting unrealistic ideas into her brother’s head. Falling in love with Caleb would threaten everything she’s worked for, even her brother’s future happiness.

But it could be the very reason God brought her to Last Chance Ranch.

My source for book: Review Copy via NetGalley
My Thoughts:
Margaret Brownley has done it again, masterfully crafting a story that is just downright entertaining! Molly, the heroine, is easy to like, and her former occupation as a saloon girl (a singer only!) serves as a great reminder to not judge based on perception or outward appearances. I quickly found myself rooting for Molly to overcome her difficult past and to succeed in building a life for herself and her younger brother.

Dr. Caleb is a good guy, but it was the little details about him that really made him stand out to me. I loved how he seemed slightly eccentric--and rather modern--by driving a "horseless carriage" far before they were commonplace. It sort of became his trademark, and I just couldn't help but enjoy the excitement that always surrounded his automobile. I also liked how Caleb took his dog everywhere he went.... it may seem like a small detail, and it's not even necessarily a "manly" thing to do, but it really added a nice touch to the flow of the story.

With the inclusion of Donny, Molly's wheelchair-bound brother, the story offers a unique and interesting look at the life of a handicapped person in the 19th century, which is a topic I haven't previously found in fiction before. Dr. Caleb has a wonderful forward thinking and cutting-edge air about him, which makes it exciting to watch as he tries to help Donny by teaching him how to care for himself despite his disability. I do have to confess that I grew a little weary of Molly's protests against Caleb's methods of treatment for Donny... however, these disagreements did add to the tension between Molly and Caleb, so I can see why they were included.

Overall, this novel is one that I really enjoyed. It's actually the second installment in the "Brides of Last Chance Ranch" trilogy, but in my opinion it far outshines the first novel and could easily be read as a stand-alone. Now, I can't end my review without mentioning Orbit, the little blind horse at the ranch, whose unique personality deftly pulled at my heartstrings. He was an unexpectedly great addition; you'd be surprised how much a blind horse can enhance a story! ;) If you're a fan of historical novels, Waiting For Morning is one that I would definitely recommend.

My Rating: 4.5 stars

Thanks to the publisher (Thomas Nelson) for providing me with a review copy via NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment