Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Review: Dancing With Fireflies by Denise Hunter

Chapel Springs, #2
Book Cover and Synopsis:
Jade returns home to Chapel Springs after years of protecting her fragile heart. Then along comes Daniel, making her long to dance again.

Creative and complicated, Jade McKinley felt like a weed in a rose garden growing up in Chapel Springs. When she left, she thought she’d never look back. But now, pregnant, alone, and broke, she has no other choice but to return.

The mayor of Chapel Springs, Daniel Dawson, has been an honorary member of the McKinley family for years. While his own home life was almost non-existent, Daniel fit right into the boisterous McKinley family. He’s loved Jade for years, but she always saw him as a big brother. Now that she’s back, his feelings are stronger than ever.

As Jade attempts to settle in, nothing feels right. God seems far away, she’s hiding secrets from her family, and she’s strangely attracted to the man who’s always called her “squirt." Finding her way home may prove more difficult than she imagined.

My source for book: Review Copy
My Thoughts:
Stepping back into Chapel Springs and seeing all the familiar faces (from Barefoot Summer) is both exciting and comfortable; the small town atmosphere is exactly the same, it's just the viewing angle--this time seeing things alternately from Jade's and Daniel's perspective--that's changed.

Though stories involving pregnancy don't normally interest me, I was extremely drawn to Jade's situation. It's heartbreaking, yet exceptionally enthralling due to the difficult circumstances and her stubborn effort to be independent in the midst of it all. I really admired that despite being scared to death, Jade never once considered giving up her baby. Despite its traumatic conception, she was determined to love the child, but at the same time feared she might not be able to.

I really liked Daniel, he is sweet and caring but feels very realistic. He has a way of phrasing things that makes for some very humorous moments! The relationship between him and Jade was simply delightful, it couldn't have been written any better. I loved how he almost unintentionally--and with such natural ease--worked his way further into Jade's life, becoming her confidant and helper, steadily growing their relationship without Jade even realizing what was happening. Things end up coming together in a very unique and interesting way that I never would have imagined.

Honestly, I just can't say enough good things about Dancing With Fireflies. The story is so very intriguing and enjoyable, hard-to-put-down, and kept me up past 2am a couple of times! It successfully tackles a very difficult subject with grace and tact; never once did I feel uncomfortable with how things were handled. I'm already thinking about re-reading it, that's how much I loved the story and relationship development between Jade and Daniel! Though it's still early in the year, I am confident this will end up being one of the best releases from the Christian market in 2014.

My Rating: 5 stars!!!

Thanks to the publisher (Thomas Nelson) for providing me with a review copy via NetGalley.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful thoughts, Valerie. Glad you enjoyed this one - you've reminded me, I still need to post my review. Yikes. Guess I'd better share it this week or the next. Cannot wait to see what comes next for the Chapel Springs family. :)

    ReplyDelete