Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Review: Rise and Shine by Sandra D. Bricker

Book Cover and Synopsis:
Shannon Malone thought she'd found her happy ending when she married Edmund Ridgeway, but a diving accident on their honeymoon left her in a coma. Waking up to the news that she's thirty years old would have been daunting enough . . . but she also learns that Edmund has lost his interim battle with cancer and the world has marched on without her. Her gorgeous doctor, Daniel Petros, seems to know everything about her and becomes Shannon's tour guide into a whole new world of madness where reality television has taken over the planet and everyone's life appears to revolve around a tiny screen on their cell phones!

As Shannon struggles to navigate through the changes-both in the world and in her-she also must discern real memories from imagined ones. Did she really ever wear capris pants and entertain in her living room, or was that Laura Petrie from her favorite classic TV show? And where is her beloved dog, Freeway? Oh, wait! That was Jonathan and Jennifer Hart's dog, not hers.

Shannon's three elderly aunts flit through her life in true Sleeping Beauty style with her well-being always a priority. And Edmund's sister Millicent descends like the Evil Queen she is, trying to extract Shannon from any claim on the Ridgeway family fortune. When a tornado moves through town and Shannon is knocked unconscious, will Daniel's kiss awaken her once and for all?


My source for book: Review Copy
My Thoughts:
I gotta admit, this one is pretty fun--even if you're not a fairy tale buff! The idea of someone waking from a 10 year coma and trying to integrate back into the world is fascinating, offering many unique subplots that aren't often explored in fiction. Being sort of a tech-geek girl myself, I was particularly amused by the changes in technology that Shannon had to get used to. (It's amazing how things change in 10 years!) Her sense of wonder regarding the new technology was pretty fun, and it makes you realize how much we often take for granted.

The interaction between Daniel and Shannon was enjoyable; the transition from doctor/patient to friends was smoothly done, very believable and natural feeling. I also liked the idea that Shannon's tastes and motivations for life changed during her coma time, similar to how an average person's preferences slowly evolve during their life.

There's quite a few classic TV references sprinkled throughout the story, with "The Dick Van Dyke Show" claiming the majority of the references. Since I'm familiar with the series (gotta love TV on DVD!) much of this was rather amusing for me, but for those who aren't familiar with the show I imagine the references might grow slightly stale after while.

The biggest downside is that the ending seemed a bit abrupt; especially when I was hoping for a solid "happily ever after" to go along with the fairy tale theme. Without a doubt it has the promise of a future happily ever after, but some aspects are left slightly open ended, which prods the reader to imagine how certain things will turn out. It's not a deal breaker for me, but when it comes to endings I guess I'm just more of a traditionalist.

Overall, this is a cute modern day take on Sleeping Beauty. It's a loose adaption, of course, but nevertheless it's still a fun ride. I do admit the "villain" seemed a bit too villainous, with no clear reason or motivation behind her wickedness...but, I guess every good story needs a villain so the "good guys" can triumph, right? :) If you're in the mood for something unique and cute, this story is something that I'd certainly recommend. I may even purchase a copy or two as gifts for my friends!

My Rating: 4.5 stars

Thanks to the publisher (Moody) for providing me with a review copy via NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment