Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Review: The Ride of Her Life by Lorna Seilstad

Book Cover and Synopsis:
She's planted firmly on solid ground.
He's ready to sweep her off her feet.

The only man pragmatic Lilly Hart needs in her life is a six-year-old. Widowed for three years, Lilly has decided to leave the home of her intrusive in-laws to stand on her own. However, her in-laws find her new life as a cook at Lake Manawa utterly unsuitable for their grandson. When an argument ensues, a handsome stranger--who designs roller coasters, of all things--intercedes on her behalf. But Lilly is not about to get involved with any man, especially this cocky gentleman. Little does she know she is about to begin the ride of her life. 

My source for book: Personal Library
My Thoughts:
The roller coaster detail is what originally drew me to this novel, especially since it's such a unique thing for the time period. The story covers the entire building process of the coaster and also sees it up and running, but fortunately the plot doesn't get bogged down by anything overly technical.

Though I enjoyed the story, I often had a vague feeling that something was missing. I'm not quite sure what it was, but maybe it had something to do with the fact that the relationship angle just seemed fairly average...there wasn't much that made it pop or stand out. However, I did like the idea that Nick first became friends with Lilly's son, and from that simple friendship his relationship with Lilly herself slowly started grow.

I admit that I grew a bit weary of the "villains" who were out to mess up Lilly's living situation...but in all honestly, there's not many literary villains that I do like. In this case it's Lilly's scheming in-laws that fill the position. Though I didn't care for the storyline that centered around them, I did like how their first few plans were unsuccessful and ultimately in the end they were defeated, in more ways than one. 

As for the cover image...I love the photo and design, but unfortunately I don't feel that it completely fits the story. Lilly, in her stubbornness, constantly refuses to ride the roller coaster(which I found very annoying), and to my eye that isn't necessarily what the cover image conveys. BUT, even with my misgivings...I still can't help but like the look of the cover.

Having now read the entire Lake Manawa trilogy, I think my favorite is probably the second book...though the others certainly have merit and are worth checking out. I'm not sure the characters featured in "The Ride of Her Life" will ultimately stick with me very long, however the early roller coaster details alone makes the book worth looking into, especially for fans of amusement parks and rides.

My Rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment