Saturday, July 18, 2015

Review: A Worthy Pursuit by Karen Witemeyer

Book Cover and Synopsis:
Stone Hammond is the best tracker in Texas. He never comes home empty-handed. So when a wealthy railroad investor hires him to find his abducted granddaughter, Stone eagerly accepts.

Charlotte Atherton, former headmistress of Sullivan’s Academy for Exceptional Youths, will do anything to keep her charges safe, especially the little girl entrusted to her care after her mother’s death. Charlotte promised Lily’s mother she’d keep the girl away from her unscrupulous grandfather, and nothing will stop Charlotte from fulfilling that pledge. Not even the handsome bounty hunter with surprisingly honest eyes who comes looking for them.

When the teacher he’s after produces documentation that shows she’s the little girl’s legal guardian, Stone must reevaluate everything he’s been led to believe. Is Miss Atherton villain or victim? She acts more like a loving mother than an abductress, and the children in her care clearly adore her. Should Stone break his perfect record?

Then a new danger threatens, and Charlotte is forced to trust the man sent to destroy her. Stone becomes determined to protect what he once sought to tear apart. Besides, he’s ready to start a new pursuit: winning Charlotte’s heart.


My source for book: Review Copy
My Thoughts:
Like all of Karen's stories, A Worthy Pursuit has an extremely creative (but not un-realistic) storyline. The first chapter starts out strong, but after that for some reason it took me a while to really get "sucked in" to the plot. However once that point came, I did enjoy the story quite a bit.

The relationship and trust development between Charlotte and Stone moved a bit faster than I expected, but the circumstances demanded it and in light of that it was ultimately handled well. I sort of marveled at the trust Charlotte gave when she knew so little about Stone (I would certainly be more hesitant!), but at the same time I admired it because she really had a good head on her shoulders and the situation made for a very good story.

The kids with their extraordinary talents are a unique addition to the story, but it's Lily and her dime novel obsession that really sticks out in my mind. I liked the idea that the novels she liked so much were actually exaggerated stories of Stone and his comrades. This was a fun and very creative idea that worked extremely well within the story. Lily's star struck attitude towards "Dead Eye Dan" was amusing, and his reaction to the whole situation was amusing as well.

While I don't think A Worthy Pursuit is my favorite story from the author, overall I did mostly enjoy it. Aside from a slightly slow start--which in all fairness was probably just me--it's an entertaining story that has a lot to offer with romance, drama, and even some danger! This is one that most fans of historical fiction will likely enjoy.

My Rating: 4 stars

Thanks to the publisher (Bethany House) for providing me with a review copy via NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment