Sunday, January 15, 2012

Review: Claire's Not-So-Gothic Romance by Bonnie Blythe

My rating: 5 stars!
Claire Parnell has always equated herself with Jane Eyre, being of the "plain" variety of women. Her eccentric mother has decreed that Claire should marry a doctor and settle for nothing less, but it's not like Claire has even had a chance to "settle". When she wakes up at the hospital with a foggy brain, Claire frantically believes she's dying and decides her last act will show her mother she at least "tried" to honor her wishes. Impulsively kissing the first doctor that approaches her bedside--and watching him back away horrified--she soon finds out death is actually not in the foreseeable future. (Unless you count death by humiliation.) Oh, and the doctor she kissed? He was actually only a nurse. Let the humiliation, and this enjoyable story, begin!


My thoughts:
This book was an absolute blast to read! Claire is such a real character, I could totally relate to her. I loved how she acted when Sam (the nurse) kept showing up everywhere, her actions were so realistic and humorous. Claire's eccentric mother is completely strange and adds tons of awkward humor. Sam was also a great character, his relentless pursuit of Claire was very charming. It was cool to see that such a nice guy can come from a rough background. 
Being a fan of Gothic romance novels, Claire has a very wide vocabulary and often uses large and obscure words to convey her feelings--both in her speech and also in her thoughts. It took me about the length of the first chapter to get accustomed to her "voice" and use of such words... by that point I had gotten so sucked into the story that it no longer mattered. Some of the words gave me a chance to use the dictionary feature on my kindle, which always makes me feel rather cool. :)
Though a totally fun and light-hearted read, there are some tougher issues tackled here as well, such as a Christian dating a new believer with a past that's not so pure. This is something I haven't seen a ton of in Christian fiction, but I have to applaud the author for her delicate and appropriate handling of the issues. There were several twists that caught me off guard and left me saying "Really!?", but it kept things fresh and several times had me staying up way too late to read "just a little more!"
This is the first book by Bonnie Blythe that I've read, and I have to say I'm impressed. If you're a fan of Christian chick-lit/romance, do yourself a favor and check this one out. It's just too fun of a story to let slip by!
My rating: 5 stars! 

As of this writing, Amazon's price for the kindle version of this book is only $1.00, an absolute steal for such an entertaining book! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment