Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Review: Made to Last by Melissa Tagg

Book Cover and Synopsis:
Miranda Woodruff has it all. At least, that's how it looks when she's starring in her homebuilding television show, "From the Ground Up." So when her network begins to talk about making cuts, she'll do anything to boost ratings and save her show--even if it means pretending to be married to a man who's definitely not the fiance who ran out on her three years ago.

When a handsome reporter starts shadowing Miranda's every move, all his digging into her personal life brings him a little too close to the truth--and to her. Can the girl whose entire identity is wrapped up in her on-screen persona finally find the nerve to set the record straight? And if she does, will the life she's built come crashing down just as she's found a love to last?


My source for book: Local Library
My Thoughts:
When I think of Miranda, I can't help but remember the old saying, "Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive." Though I don't condone her deception, it sure is a load of fun to read about!! What I really like about Miranda is the fact that she seems like a normal everyday person--with faults and insecurities--despite the fact that she is a celebrity. She's easy to like and sympathize with, which is what makes it so comical when her deceptive scheme starts to spiral out of control!

Even early on it was fairly obvious that Matthew, the reporter shadowing Miranda, would eventually uncover a scoop about her...but what I couldn't predict was how the scenario would end up unfolding. (Let me just say, things did not turn out the way I imagined, and it was ten times the better for it!) I enjoyed seeing Matthew struggle with his ethics while deciding if he should reveal the scoop or not, as it gave him a very realistic feel and clearly separated him from the ruthless image that reporters often have. I also really liked Matthew's relationship with his young niece; it's uncommonly sweet, and leaves you with a hopeful feeling.

While Matthew is a solid leading man, I have to admit that Blake (Miranda's "pretend" husband) was very close to stealing the spotlight. He had a fun and goofy way about him, yet he had a surprisingly serious side as well. His antics really added a lot to the story; he is honestly one of the best characters I've come across in quite a while. I've heard Blake will also be in Miranda's upcoming book "Here to Stay", and I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting the chance to read more about him!

This is Melissa Tagg's first novel, but it's so solid that you would never guess it to be her debut. I'm quite impressed, actually. The characters were all very realistic feeling, and I absolutely loved the comical scenes that were periodically thrown in. (I also really enjoyed the behind the scenes look at the production of a tv show, and seeing that even "how-to" shows have multiple takes, etc.) I've found a new author to follow, and there's no doubt that I'll be snatching up her next book as soon as it's available!

My Rating: 4.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment