Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Review: Once Upon A Prince by Rachel Hauck

Book Cover and Synopsis:
Susanna Truitt never dreamed of a great romance or being treated like a princess---just to marry the man she has loved for twelve years. But life isn’t going according to plan. When her high-school-sweetheart-turned-Marine-officer breaks up instead of proposing, Susanna scrambles to rebuild her life.

The last thing Prince Nathaniel expects to find on his American holiday to St. Simon’s Island is the queen of his heart. A prince has duties, and his family’s tense political situation has chosen his bride for him. When Prince Nathaniel comes to Susanna’s aid under the fabled Lover’s Oak, he is blindsided by love.

Their lives are worlds apart. He’s a royal prince. She’s a ordinary girl. But everything changes when Susanna receives an invitation to Nathaniel’s coronation...


My source for book: Review Copy via NetGalley
My Thoughts:
Oh my, what a lovely story! Though it's completely set in reality, it very much has a fairy tale feel, in a modern sort of way. British royalty mingling with every-day Americans, and a forbidden romance in the air. These types of events just don't happen to everyday people, but that's what makes this story so much FUN to read!

I do have to admit that the first chapter was rather slow (it started in the middle of a break up scene), but once it moved past that scene I found myself immediately hooked. Susanna is easy to sympathize with, and I found it easy to relate to her issues of learning to trust and wait on God no matter the circumstances. Her family is a lot of fun and adds amusing chaos to her life; I especially enjoyed the atmosphere at Susanna's parents' restaurant and the playful banter between everyone in the midst of their work.

Nate has a gentle air about him that immediately drew me in, but his British speech and mannerisms certainly didn't hurt! ;) He seems just like an ordinary guy, not at all like a prince or king, but that is what makes him so great. I loved how he tried to seek God's guidance for his decisions; it was really cool to see someone in such a power position seeking to follow God like that. (It gives hope that godly rulers can still be found!)

Overall, I have to say that I really enjoyed this one. The interaction between the characters was great, and I really enjoyed the sweet and slow pacing between Nate and Susanna. Rachel Hauck has definitely delivered a winner with Once Upon A Prince! It gives me high expectations for the rest of the series, which I am anxiously awaiting. It doesn't matter if you're a royalty watcher or not; this is one that I think you'll enjoy!

My Rating: 5 stars

Thanks to the publisher (Zondervan) for providing me with a review copy via NetGalley.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you read and enjoyed this one, Valerie! I sure did - and oh, my! Rachel got that British dialect down pat! Who ever said the Brits had a stiff upper lip was quite wrong! ;) Loved how even with its fairy-tale elements, this novel has some beautiful realism. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete