Friday, February 3, 2012

Review: Nickels by Karen Baney

My rating: 5 stars!
Niki Turner has finally arrived. Her career as a Software Engineer is soaring—she has just been offered the company’s most sought after account, Helitronics. Life would be perfect, if she could stop her roommate from playing matchmaker.

Then Kyle Jacobs mysteriously re-enters her life. As painful memories resurface, his presence turns her life upside down and threatens to waylay her career. She must find a way to work with him—after all, he’s the helicopter flight consultant for the new flight control system she’s coding.

Can she forget the past and see him as the new man he has become? Or will her resentment keep her from finding what she has always been searching for?


My thoughts:
Okay, I really enjoyed this one! At first I wasn't sure the life of a software engineer would be all that riveting, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it's actually quite interesting. While Niki's job is rather technical, I felt it was handled very well and written so that anyone can follow. :)

Niki is a great character, very realistic with past hurts and wounds that still haunt her; it's encouraging to see her grow and work through her issues. I also enjoyed Kyle as well, he's sort of a broken person yet he's still fun and tries to please God with his actions and motives. The story bounces back and forth being told from both Niki and Kyle's perspective's.

I have to admit part of my enjoyment came from the fact that the book is set in the Phoenix-Metro area of Arizona. I used to live there, and I just found it unbelievably cool when I recognized the street names, freeways, landmarks, and other things...including the 110+ degree heat! It was like I was right there beside Niki, and it all gave me sort of a nostalgic feeling. For those who haven't lived in AZ, the setting will seem just like any other, but for those who have lived there...well, it's just really cool!

So, bottom-line: Pick this one up, you'll be glad you did! An excellent read.

My rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment